Sql2005 support

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Hi there,

Is there maybe a possibility for you to make a Sql 2005 version of the database available? I don't have Sql 2008 at the moment so I can't test it.

[Yes I know about Sql Express, but it won't work for now.]

Thanks,

MS

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Hi mieliespoor

Unfortunately, I was unable to create an SQL Server 2005 version of the database. At the moment I only have Visual Studio/SQL Server Express editions. And when I tried to create a SQL Server database in VS 2005, for some reason it says I need SQL Server 2005 Beta 2. I assume it means I need Standard edition to create a 2005 database for a 2008 project. Correct me if I am wrong and I will try again.

Sorry I couldn't of been any more help for you.

Cheers

Dazza

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Any chance at all there might be some instructions for installing, I am using IIS7, server 2008.

TIA

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM
tjatwood wrote:

Any chance at all there might be some instructions for installing, I am using IIS7, server 2008.

TIA

Hi tjatwood

I tried uploading some documentation but the wiki seems to stall when saving. Here is my brief documentation for installing:-

! MyForumSite - Installation Instructions

MyForumSite is a C#.Net 3.5 ASP.Net AJAX web application. The following are the prerequisites before installing:-
* Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 SP1 - http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/
* Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
* IIS 5.5 or higher
* Windows XP Professional SP2 or higher

However, using either Visual Studio 2008/2010 Professional should work as well.
You can still run the web application without Visual Studio, however you'll need to install ASP.Net 3.5 AJAX.

!! Installing IIS7
_At the moment I have just recently re-built my machine to use Windows 7 IIS7, so these instructions are to support that. I will try to include instructions on how to install IIS5.6 on Windows XP Professional soon._
# Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows Features on or off
# In the newly opened dialog box check next to Internet Information Services
# Make sure the following are also checked within the sub-checkboxes:-
** Internet Information Services -> IIS Management Service
** Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features
** Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Common HTTP Features -> Default Document
** Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Common HTTP Features -> HTTP Errors

!! Installing ASP.Net Web Application
# Extract MyForumSite.zip to your local IIS wwwroot directory, eg. "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\".
# Make sure the following files DON'T exist on your directory:-
** index.html
** default.html
** iisstart.htm

!! Setting Up MyForumSite
# Upon running the web application for the first time, you *should* be greeted with a starting page called "start.aspx". If not, then you need to either make sure default.aspx is the default document accessed in IIS or you need to make sure the admin password is "admin". If it's the latter, then open Database.mdf in Visual Web Developer 2008 SP1. Then open table tblUsers. In the first row should be the "admin" user's username. Change Password to "admin".
# Now you should be on the starting page called "start.aspx". It'll ask you to enter a new administration password. This is a required field. Enter the new password then click on the Save button.
# Next you'll be asked to create the forums. Click on the link "Click here to create a new forum".
# Now you *should* be on "edit_forums.aspx". First you need to create a header for a group of forums, then you are able to create multiple forums within each header.
# Under Add Forum Header -> Forum Header enter the name of a forum, then click the Add button.
# Under Edit Forum, enter a Title and optional Description. The Description should only be 1-2 lines long preferably. Then click on the Save button.
# This should be enough to setup the web application for now, but for more administration options click on the Account link on the right-hand side under SideBar Menu.

!! Administrating MyForumSite
# Click on Account link on the right-hand side under SideBar Menu
# Click on "Edit Contacts" link
# Under Edit Contacts -> E-Mail enter your webmaster e-mail address. Then click on the Save button.

!! Setting Up E-Mail Notifications
_At the time of this writing, version 1.2.05, doesn't have any page for administering the sender e-mail address for e-mail notifications. So instead you'll need to edit this manually for now_
# Open Visual Web Developer 2008 SP1
# Open Database.mdf under App_Data
# Open tblApplications table
# Under EMailHost, enter the URL of the smtp server, eg. darrenlovejoy.com
# Under EMail, enter the email address of the sender that sends the e-mail notification, eg. webmaster@darrenlovejoy.com
# Under EMailUsername, enter the username used for above account
# Under EMailPassword, enter the password used for above account
# Under WebSiteURL, enter the URL of where the web application is hosted, eg. http://darrenlovejoy.com. (Also make sure you include the http:// at the start).

And that's it. I'll try to make a more complete instructions when I have the time.